The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston has acquired two photos from the series “You Are There, Are You There? There You Are”, by Alicia Rodríguez. One of them has been included in “Personal Space: Self-Portraits on Paper”, a group exhibition open now at the MFA. She is sharing a wall with Carrie Mae Weems and Cuban artist Sandra Ramos Lorenzo of whom we have published an essay here.
I share with here you the statement of this series: “You Are There, Are You There? There You Are is a series of photographs that represent the polarities between the irrational/rational, the exterior/interior, and the motivated/resigned self. Through compositing multiple images of myself I expose the inner battle between my two selves in regards to my insecurities and body issues. It is a work in which I focus on challenging my comfort, self-confidence, and inner strength. It started as an exploration of my insecurities, my identity, and self-love, and it has later become an homage to every womxn. Every womxn who no matter what they’re going through plays the sister, the daughter, the mother, the fairy, the role model, the angel in their own lives”.
Despite being so young Alicia, who was born in Cuba and received a Bachelor’s degree at Tufts University, has been awarded for her talent and effort pretty fast, setting the bar high for himself and colleagues of her generation.
The exhibition at MFA includes works by Kiki Smith, Glenn Ligon, Jim Dine, Willie Cole, Robert Rauschenberg, among others.
Congratulations Alicia! You are becoming a real crack! You are already under the radar.
Estamos en Twitter
Top Posts & Pages
- CINTAS ANUNCIA FINALISTAS
- ROCÍO GARCÍA SUPERÁNDOSE A SÍ MISMA
- REBELIÓN URBANA EN EL CÍRCULO DE LAS MANÍAS
- OBRA DE LA SEMANA XLVIII
- MARIANO RODRÍGUEZ: EL TRASIEGO DE LAS FORMAS Y LA FIJEZA DE SU PINTURA. Segunda parte
- BECA A LA VISTA: ATENCIÓN CENTROAMÉRICA Y CARIBE INSULAR
- FÉLIX GONZÁLEZ TORRES COMO EL QUE ALTERA LA GRAMÁTICA. LA PRESENCIA DEL SUJETO OMITIDO
- DEL ART AL TRAP: efecto “Bad Bunny” en el arte contemporáneo
- ELLA FONTANALS-CISNEROS SE CANSÓ DE OBJECIONES Y DILACIONES
- UNA OBRA QUE ALBOROTARÁ EL AVISPERO
Los Secuaces de El Sr. Corchea
- Elvia Rosa Castro
- Gustavo Ramos
- Héctor Antón
- Héctor S. Martínez
- Nelson Herrera Ysla