WORK OF THE WEEK XXI
Eduardo Ponjuán (1956)
Cuba 20 centavos coins
168 x 2.4 cm
National Museum of Fine Arts, Havana
“A tower of the height of José Martí, National Hero of Cuba, constructed from twenty centavo coins. Like a kind of orisha or spirit (osun), it cannot avoid the magic of whom it represents: a delicate staff, beautiful in tis precariousness and simplicity, humble as its bas-reliefs and edges worn by use. Monumento/Monument returns to the ‘radiant poverty’ that Lezama Lima claimed was a fundamental concept of the founding fathers of Cuba.
Ponjuán reconstructs the myth of José Martí, and cannot avoid his debt to Juan Francisco Elso (Nuestra América/Our América*). He starts where the latter left off: both share a pedestrian, common materiality, but in Monument this is as anomalous and ambiguous as currency. It is an analogy of the currency and its value in the socio-economic history of the country. Economic crisis, and consequently the devaluation of the currency and the history of a nation and its symbols.
In this fusion between spirituality and ignoble material, Monument achieves a perfect balance: speaking of the obvious from the evident”. (1)
*It probably should said For América, a beautiful sculpture by Elso representing Marti.
- Fragments of the book Ponjuán. 45rpm. Artecubano Ediciones, 2016. P. 91.
OBRA DE LA SEMANA XXIV
OBRA DE LA SEMANA LV
WORK OF THE WEEK XXV
WORK OF THE WEEK IV
OBRA DE LA SEMANA XXXVI
Estamos en Twitter
Top Posts & Pages
- TONY MENÉNDEZ
- EL DESMONTAJE DE LO ÉPICO: la obra de Elvis Céllez*
- RESULTADOS DE LAS SUBASTAS PHILLIPS Y CHRISTIE´S
- OTRA VUELTA DE TUERCA EN LA FOTOGRAFÍA I*
- JOSÉ ÁNGEL NAZABAL
- DAR A OTROS Y A NOSOTROS, DAR MÁS: TRANSFERENCISTAS DE LAS ARTES
- IBIS HERNÁNDEZ PONE MALO EL PICAO
- CUBANOS EN EL SIGLO XXI: arte, artistaje, happy hour y transdilema IV
- ARTISTAS CUBANOS EN SUBASTA DE CHRISTIE`S
Los Secuaces de El Sr. Corchea
- Elvia Rosa Castro
- Gustavo Ramos
- Héctor Antón
- Héctor S. Martínez
- Nelson Herrera Ysla
Leave a Reply